A depressed person is the one that experiences at least five or more of the following symptoms every day or most of the time.
- A sad mood
- Sleep issues(for example, oversleep or not enough sleep; sleeping only during the day)
- Losing interests in what one used to enjoy or becoming unmotivated
- Feeling guilty all the time and having a deteriorated self-image
- Becoming passive and not taking care of one’s self (for example, having no shower)
- The inability to concentrate(for example, a radical decline in performance)
- Loss of appetite or eating too much
- Severe anxiety/panic attacks
- Suicidal tendencies such as self-harm (cutting or burning oneself on purpose)
Not everyone suffering from depression shows suicidal behaviors. It is recommended to ask for help despite not showing any self-harm behaviors or having the symptoms listed above.